of the sanatorium goes back to November 23, 1945 when at the meeting of the
Executive Committee of the Sochi Town Soviet of People Deputies a petition of
the People’s Commissariat of Ferrous Metallurgy of the USSR for allotment of a
plot for a sanatorium construction in one of the best districts of the town at
the south – west slope of the Bytkha mountain has been approved.
In 1948 –
1949, after carrying-out of serious landfall control measures, the “zero” cycle
of construction started up.
The Leningrad branch of the
State Institute for Designing Iron and Steel Plants (“Gipromez”) was entrusted
with the designing of a future health resort. In 1950 the project of a group of
architects Ya.O. Svirskiy, G.A. Bitov, O.A. Ugryumova has been approved in the
course of competitive examination.
architect of the project, Yakov Osipovich Svirskiy, is one of the old stagers
of the Leningrad
architectural school, follower of the prominent soviet architects V.G.
Gelfreich and V.A. Schuko. The co-designer of Yakov Osipovich Svirskiy was the
designer – architect Georgy Leonidovich Bitov, father of the well-known writer
Andrey Bitov. In the memoirs about his father Andrey Bitov has written the
following: “My father, Georgy Leonidovich Bitov, was born in Petersburg. Being a profoundly and convinced
non-Party man, he has not made his career, he elaborated the designs of the departmental
buildings and constructions in the field of ferrous metallurgy. But he was
obviously unhappy about inability to realize his creative potential, and as
gift of destiny he has taken the order for construction of a departmental
sanatorium of the Ministry of Ferrous Metallurgy in Sochi which also nowadays stands out against
a town view background by its classic style apparently being strongly attracted
by the style of ancient art. This was his creation, his swan-song in which he
put all his efforts and talents”. The engineering lines of the future
health–centre of the metallurgists were designed by O.A. Ugryumova. The active
phase of construction began in 1951, and already on June 30, 1956 the
sanatorium has been commissioned by the state commission. At a picturesque
slope of the Bytkha mountain a new palace of health appeared constructed in the
neoclassicism style (known also as the “Stalin’s Empire style”).
On July 1,
1956 the sanatorium “Metallurg” has opened hospitably his doors and welcomed
the first guests. The 90 % from the total number of the holiday–makers were the
workers and employees of the metallurgical plants.